These Salisbury steak patties are made with a blend of 50% beef and 50% diced mushrooms, the perfect combination for a healthy weeknight dinner that tastes great! This dish is so versatile it can be served as a hot sandwich, over mashed potatoes or over egg noodles for a dish your whole family will love.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) diced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) extra lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced button mushrooms
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (175 mL) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced green onions
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 1 minute. Mix in mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes stirring. Take off the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs, 1 egg and Italian seasoning until well combined. Form the meat mixture into 4 equal-sized patties. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Take the skillet off the heat and set the patties aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Whisk in the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in peas and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the broth and continue until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce has just thickened. Add the meat back to the pan and spoon the gravy over the top. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Keywords: Steak and Mushroom Recipe, Comfort Food Recipe, Salisbury Steak and Mushroom Dish, Steak and Mushroom, Delicious Mushroom Gravy, Rich Mushroom Gravy