I can’t imagine a vegetarian who wouldn’t welcome this roasted mushroom tart with béchamel and fried sage on their holiday table. While it makes an impressive vegetarian main course to complement the array of Thanksgiving sides, it’s also perfect as an appetizer for any mushroom lover.
- 2 ½ lbs. mixed mushrooms*
- 1 head of garlic, cloves removed and peeled
- ½ small lemon, sliced in rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 sprigs each fresh thyme and rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 6 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ tsp nutmeg + more to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmigianino Reggiano
- fried sage:
- ¼ cup oil
- bunch of fresh sage, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss together the mushrooms (except the enoki), garlic, lemon, olive oil, herbs, and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until golden brown but still tender, about 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through. If using enoki mushrooms, add in the last 5 min. Remove the herb stalks and lemon slices.
- Meanwhile make the béchamel: melt the butter in a medium saucepan until hot and bubbling. Add the flour. Cook for 1 min, whisking often. Whisk in the milk gradually. Bring to a boil. Cook, whisking frequently, until thick and smooth, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and cheese. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more nutmeg if desired.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a larger square. Fold over the edges ½“ to create a border. Prick the center lightly with a fork. Bake 10 minutes. Pour the béchamel into the crust. If it all doesn’t fit without pouring over the edge, save it and serve with the tart. Bake an additional 10 minutes until set. Arrange the mushrooms and roasted garlic on top. Bake 5 min more or until the pastry is golden brown.
- For the fried sage, heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of the sage leaves and cook until crisp, only 2-3 seconds. Transfer to a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining leaves. Crumble over the tart to serve.
* Whole crimini, whole button, halved King oyster, whole enoki