Elevate your weeknight dinner game with these fresh and delicious lettuce wraps–a back-to-school must-try! They’re ready in under 30 minutes and use the blend and extend easy food prep hack. By incorporating fresh, chopped mushrooms with ground pork, this recipe not only infuses more flavour but also sneaks in extra veggies and extends the portions.
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb / 454g white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 lb / 454g ground pork (or chicken, turkey or beef)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 1 green onion, sliced
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk lime juice with hoisin, sambal oelek, sesame oil and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and red pepper, cook for 5 minutes until softened and mushrooms have started releasing their liquid. At this stage, the pan might appear a bit watery.
- Add ground pork, breaking it apart as it cooks for another 5 minutes until it’s almost cooked. Add ginger and garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the prepared sauce and stir everything together to ensure the pork filling is well coated. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mixture has thickened slightly and is no longer watery.
- To serve, spoon the flavourful mixture into Boston lettuce leaves and garnish with some chopped green onion for an extra burst of freshness.
Keywords: Appetizer, Lunch, Pork and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps