These hand pies make meals-on-the-go fun and stress-free. Made with a blend of ground pork and meaty mushrooms for a hidden serving of vegetables! These hand pies can easily be made ahead of time and frozen for up to 1 month and popped in the oven when ready to serve.
Recipe developed in partnership with Ontario Pork.
- 8 oz (227g) fresh portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 lb (225g) ground Ontario pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ green pepper, finely diced
- ¼ red pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) allspice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 450 g package of frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Place mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large saucepan, brown mushrooms, pork, onion and garlic, for approximately 10 minutes. Add peppers, tomato paste, allspice, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until well combined and the peppers have softened.
- Place ½ the package of thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle. Using a 4.5-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out 6 rounds. Bring the leftover pastry together and roll it out again. Continue stamping until you can no longer stamp rounds. Repeat with the remaining ½ package.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with egg wash. Add a heaping spoonful of the pork mixture to one side of each round. Fold the other half over the filling and press around the edge with a fork to seal.
- Place each hand pie on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Brush the top with egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Keywords: Pork and Mushroom Hand Pies, Comfort Food, Savoury Mushroom Hand Pies, Savoury Hand Pies, Pork and Mushroom Recipes