This room-temperature salad is also delicious served warm over grilled polenta. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese if desired.
- 1 ½ lb medium fresh mushrooms (crimini, white button), halved
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in 1/8ths
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini
- 6 fresh plum tomatoes*, seeded and halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried basil leaves OR
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sliced fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl with onion wedges. Add 4 tbsp olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Arrange in a single layer on large shallow baking pan and roast uncovered on bottom shelf in 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes; stir and continue to roast for another 15 –20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then crosswise in 1”(2.5 cm) pieces and place in the same bowl and add tomatoes; toss with remaining olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place tomatoes cut side up on another baking sheet with zucchini and roast in oven with mushrooms for 15-20 minutes or until softened and sizzling. Remove vegetables from oven and spoon into large serving bowl.
- In measuring cup combine vinegar, basil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and parsley (if not using fresh basil) and pour over warm vegetables. Toss lightly; serve at room temperature as side dish or on grilled polenta for main course.
- *Substitute 4 ripe medium tomatoes on the vine, quartered for plum tomatoes.
- Grilled Polenta: Purchase pre-cooked polenta rolls and cut into ½ “(2.5 cm) thick rounds or prepare your favorite polenta and chill until firm in square pan and cut out squares. Brush with olive oil and grill, broil or bake until golden brown.
- In barbecue season, place vegetables in shallow metal pans and roast with lid closed.
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
Keywords: Oven Roasted Vegetables, Roasted Veggies, Easy Roasted Vegetables