Vol-au-vent with a mushroom filling will always be a classic for one simple reason- they are delicious! A crisp, golden puff pastry with a creamy filling, this is a popular appetizer that will be sure to impress.
- 1 package (450 g) rolled-out frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced onion
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced white and crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each minced thyme and rosemary
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) beef broth
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). On a lightly floured surface, unfold one puff pastry sheet. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 9 circles. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Unfold the remaining pastry sheet. Cut 9 more circles out with the 3-inch round cutter; with a 2-inch cutter, cut centers out of the circles. Place the rings on top of the circles that are on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Bake until dark golden brown, 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes stirring. Stir in sliced mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes stirring. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and beef broth. Add the broth mixture to the mushrooms and bring to a simmer for 30 seconds, until thickened. Take off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- When the puff pastry is cool enough to handle, hollow out pastries with a small spoon. Fill each pastry with mushroom mixture and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
Keywords: Elegant Puff Pastries, Mushroom Voul-au-Vent, Fancy Mushroom Appetizers, Mushroom Appetizers, French Appetizers, Mushroom, Party Appetizer, Puff Pastry, Vol au vent,