A moist and flavourful stuffing makes an impressive but simple meat dish. Top with an apple or calvados drizzle if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers as it slices beautifully the next day.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Each finely diced red pepper and onion
- 1 tsp Each dried savory and sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp Each salt and pepper
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 pork tenderloin (about 1 lb/500g each)
- In medium skillet heat oil over medium high heat; sauté mushrooms, red pepper, and onion, sauté 3-4 minutes or until moisture is released from mushrooms and evaporated. Add savory, sage, salt and pepper, sauté 1 minute; remove from heat and stir in mustard and breadcrumbs.
- Cut tenderloins almost in half lengthwise so it opens like a book; pound to flatten slightly. Spread and lightly pack stuffing down the centre of each, leaving 1”(2.5 cm) border around the edges. Fold long edges over stuffing overlapping as necessary, and fold in the narrow end; secure with skewers or string.
- In large skillet heat remaining oil over medium high heat, sear both sides of tenderloins, about 5 minutes. If skillet handles are not oven proof cover with foil or transfer pork to baking pan and place in 400ºF (200ºC) oven; roast for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear or when an instant read thermometer reads 155ºF (75ºC).
- Let stand covered with foil for 5-10 minutes, remove skewers or string, slice and serve fanned out on serving plates.
- Drizzle with pan juices or apple drizzle (below).
- 8 oz/250g mushrooms is about 3 cups (750 g) finely chopped. Pork may be slightly pink inside when sliced; don’t overcook.
- Add ¼ cup (50 mL) diced apple with the onion and red pepper, reduce mustard to 2 tsp (10 mL)
- Apple Drizzle: In a small saucepan mix 1 cup (250 mL) apple juice with 1tbsp (15 mL) corn starch until smooth; bring to boil, stirring constantly and boil 1-2 minutes or until thickened and clear; stir in pan juices from the skillet. Drizzle over sliced tenderloin. For special occasions reduce apple juice to 3/4 cup (175 mL) and add ¼ cup (50 mL) calvados after it has thickened.
- Calories: 182
- Sodium: 257 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 26.2 g
Keywords: Stuffed Pork Tenderloin, Pork Tenderloin, Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin