This looks like French onion soup but has a rich mushroom flavour instead of onion. It is almost a meal itself so just add a salad and dinner is ready.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz sliced assorted fresh mushrooms (white, crimini, portabella, shiitake, oyster)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp Each ground nutmeg and pepper
- 4 slices French bread (1/2″/2.5 cm thick) toasted
- 4 oz grated or sliced Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large heavy saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté mushrooms, onions and garlic for about 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth, lemon rind, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 4 deep ovenproof bowls. Float bread on top; sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan if using. Place under broiler until bubbly and lightly browned.
Variation: Add ½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine with the chicken broth.
Keywords: French Mushroom Soup, Soup Au Gratin, Mushroom Soup, Rich Mushroom Soup,