Bread based recipes can be a great addition to the holiday table. The Brunette Baker is sharing her recipe for a scrumptious Mushroom, Cheddar and Beer Bread that you’ll end up making all year long. This bread is also fantastic used as a base for an open-faced turkey sandwich with all the side fixings.
- 3 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian-style seasoning
- 12 ounces beer or pale ale
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
*If you don’t have self-rising flour on hand, you can easily make it in your kitchen. For this recipe you’ll need 3 cups all purpose flour, 3¾ teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Whisk together very well.
- First up, preheat your oven to 350°F. Next, prepare a 9×5 loaf pan by spraying it with a non-stick cooking spray and parchment paper. The cheese has a potential to stick to the pan while baking, making it difficult to remove. Parchment paper helps with this.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and seasonings. Slowly pour in the beer or ale and mix well with a wooden spoon until everything is combined. The flour mixture will be shaggy and thick. Add in the cheddar and mushrooms and mix only until incorporated.
- Place the dough into your prepared loaf pan evenly and top with more cheddar, lightly sautéed mushrooms, and sprinkling of seasoning, if you wish. Pop the pan into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the bread pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning it out.
- Allow to cool. Cut and enjoy!
Keywords: Cheddar and Beer Bread