A flaky pastry crust is filled with seasoned eggs, fresh asparagus, creamy goat cheese and a roasted medley of mushrooms. The use of pre-made puff pastry makes this tart easy to put together for a weekend lunch or quick appetizer.
Recipe developed in partnership with Egg Farmers of Ontario.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster)
- 1 450 g package of frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–3 oz (50–80 g) softened goat cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
- 15 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 oz (30 mL) goat cheese, crumbled (for topping)
- In a large pan add olive oil. Cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until moisture has been released.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out both pastry sheets. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Fold over the edges all around the pastry sheet to make a raised crust.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, softened goat cheese and milk. Divide mixture between both pastry crusts.
- Place asparagus spears across the top of the egg mixture. Spoon cooked mushrooms over asparagus. Crumble the remaining goat cheese evenly over the entire tart. If desired, brush the crust with egg wash*.
- Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set, asparagus is tender, and the crust is golden.
- Serve warm or cooled.
Tip: Brushing the crust with an egg wash will produce a nicely browned crust with a slightly glossy finish. To make egg wash simply whisk together 1 (one) large egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of water until frothy. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to the crust.
Keywords: Decadent Veggie Appetizer, Mushroom Cheese Tart, Fancy Side Dish, Vegetarian Cheese Tart, Mushroom Asparagus Tart, Savory Tarts,