Accompany this tasty, make ahead one dish meal with a simple Ontario greenhouse salad. This recipe can also be cooked covered in a large paella pan for 20 minutes on the stovetop. Add peas and cook another 5 minutes.
- 2 lb (1 kg) Ontario Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil (approx.)
- 12 oz (375 g) Ontario Pork Tenderloin, cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 8 oz (250 g) chorizo, cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1–1/2 cups (375 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper, cut in strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–1/2 cups (375 mL) arborio rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) saffron, crushed
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen (not thawed) green peas
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- Dry chicken well; season with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken well, in batches, transferring to 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
- In same skillet brown pork, then chorizo, adding browned pieces to dish. Discard all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) fat from skillet or add olive oil to make that amount. Cook tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, red pepper and garlic, stirring often, until much of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in rice to coat. Spread over chicken and meat.
- In small saucepan, bring broth and saffron to boil; remove from heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Gently stir into rice mixture. Cover with foil; bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes. Gently stir in peas; cover and bake for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with parsley to serve.
Keywords: Mushroom Paella, Mushroom Rice