This one-pot ragout is extremely flavourful and an easy weekend meal. Mushrooms blend seamlessly with the ground lamb extending the portion size and boosting the flavour. Leftovers taste even better the next day.
Recipe developed in partnership with Ontario Lamb.
- 8 oz (227 g) fresh crimini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) ground lamb
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herbs
- 1 can (796 mL / 28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. (500g) dried spaghetti
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery; sauté until they start to soften, 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ground lamb and cook until browned approximately 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Italian herbs. Stir until well combined.
- Add tomatoes to the pan. Using a spatula, break up tomatoes. Add red wine, stir until well combined. Add bay leaf. Lower heat to low, place a lid on the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to ensure the bottom does not burn.
- Remove lid and taste sauce; season with salt and pepper as needed. Continue to simmer on low, with the lid removed; the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Meanwhile prepare spaghetti as per package directions. Serve the sauce over the pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley.
Keywords: Lamb Ragout, Hearty Pasta Recipes, Mushroom Lamb Ragout, Easy Lamb Ragout,