Hi everyone! My name is Renée Kohlman and Sweetsugarbean is my food blog I’ve been writing for twelve years. I live in beautiful Saskatoon, Saskatchewan where I happily whip up delicious creations in my little green kitchen. Being a baker and cook, as well as a food writer and award-winning cookbook author, I’m lucky to have turned my passion for all things food into a career I love.
Everyone loves a good grilled cheese sandwich. Irresistibly gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside, it’s easy to see why this is one of our favourite comfort foods. For this recipe, I’ve taken things to the next level with garlicky mushrooms and crispy bacon. This is one killer combo! To have great success with this recipe, there are a few things to note. First off is the bread. The better the bread, the better the sandwich, in my opinion. Use a nice thick sourdough or country loaf. It makes all the difference. Next up is the cheese. I wanted something stretchy and melty, like mozzarella, as well as something with a little bite, like an aged sharp cheddar or Parmesan. This combo yields the best of both worlds. And finally, the add-ins – garlic mushrooms and bacon. I used crimini mushrooms, but any combination that you like would be delicious. These are cooked in a hot skillet with olive oil, garlic (of course!) a pinch of red pepper flakes, dried oregano and a small splash of balsamic vinegar. I dare you not to eat them all out of the skillet as-is! However, do save some mushrooms for the sandwich, as they lend a wonderful texture and increase the excellence of the sandwich. The crispy bacon is a little cherry on top of the sandwich, but it’s entirely optional. Thin slices of deli ham would also be divine, or you can omit the meat and keep it strictly vegetarian. Whichever way you choose, this is one dandy of a sandwich.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 250g crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the grilled cheese:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- butter or mayonnaise, for spreading on bread
- To make the mushrooms: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Stir in the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook a minute or two longer, until the garlic is fragrant, then stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove the pan from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the grilled cheese sandwiches: Combine both cheeses together in a medium bowl. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spread mayonnaise or softened butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices of bread in the skillet, mayo/butter side facing down. Top each with some of the cheese mixture, two slices of bacon and some mushrooms. Top with another piece of bread, mayo/butter side facing up. Cook the sandwiches over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes each side, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan, let rest for 1 minute, then slice and eat. Repeat with remaining bread, cheese, bacon and mushrooms.
For more recipes visit Renée Kohlman’s Blog, Sweetsugarbean
Keywords: Mushrooms, Grilled Cheese Sandwich