A plant-based dish that is sure to satisfy that pulled meat craving! Mushrooms are considered a “meaty” vegetable high in umami flavour making them a perfect plant-based option for a pulled sandwich or taco.
Try these quick and easy pulled mushrooms on top of your favourite taco or sandwich tonight!
- 6 large portabella mushrooms or 1 lb of king oyster mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced onions
- 1/4 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) favourite BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Remove the stems of the portabella. Place mushroom caps gill side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onions, salt and pepper. Cook for 8 minutes stirring.
- Meanwhile, remove mushrooms from the oven and once cool enough to handle shred the mushrooms using your hands or two forks to “pull” the mushroom stems apart.
- Stir shredded mushrooms into the onions and BBQ sauce. Cook stirring over medium-low for five minutes. Serve as a sandwich, in lettuce wraps or use in tacos.
Keywords: Pulled Mushroom Tacos, Pulled King Oyster Mushrooms, Pulled Portabella Mushrooms