This updated version of shepherd’s pie is a a blend of ground beef, chopped mushrooms and mixed vegetables and topped with whipped mashed potatoes.
- 4 large russet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic & herb seasoning
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas), thawed
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to saucepan. Add milk and mash until potatoes are smooth.
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large skillet, cook meat, mushrooms, onion and seasoning until meat is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 min. Add broth, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and salt; cook 5 min., stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into 9×13 baking dish, cover with mashed potatoes.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese; bake 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Keywords: Blended Shepherds Pie, Shepherds Pie