The trick to a delicious dinner salad is having a mixture of flavours and textures that will make each bite just a little different than the last.
- 8 oz fresh crimini mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the mushrooms and onion in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in the ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushroom mixture, red pepper, Tex-Mex seasoning blend and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste; add the tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide the lettuce evenly between four dinner plates.
- Top with the meat mixture, cheese, avocado, sour cream (if using) and cilantro.
Tip: For traditional tacos reduce the lettuce to 2 cups and serve with flour or corn tortillas.
Keywords: Taco Salad Recipe, Easy Healthy Dinners, Taco Tuesday Meals, Kid Friendly Recipes, Tacos, Beef and Mushroom Tacos, Mushroom