Revisit your childhood with the retro flavours of a sloppy joe made with more nutritious whole foods including mushrooms.
- 2 cups coleslaw blend
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup coleslaw dressing
- 8 oz fresh button mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried minced onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- Toss the coleslaw with the green onion and dressing until well combined; set aside.
- Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the ground beef and pulse until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the mushroom mixture and seasoning blend.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve on rolls topped with coleslaw.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 408
- Sodium: 457mg
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: Comfort Food Recipes, Sloppy Joe Recipe, Mushroom Sloppy Joes, Kid Friendly Meals, Comfort Meals, Sloppy Joes