Having trouble watching your weight? You are not alone. Almost two-thirds of Canadians are either overweight or obese. Finding appealing and effective ways to achieve and maintain a healthy weight is very important.1
Being overweight can increase the risk of developing chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.2 Carrying excess weight can put stress on joints causing pain and making it difficult to enjoy daily life. Eating more fruits and vegetables, including fresh mushrooms, is a tasty way to help you keep your weight in check.
Fresh Mushrooms Can Help!
Fresh mushrooms are a low glycemic food as they contain very little carbohydrate. That means that they do not raise blood sugar levels as significantly as carbohydrate-rich foods, such as bread.
Studies have shown that low-glycemic foods, including fruits and vegetables, may help control appetite longer than those with a high-glycemic index.3
Fresh mushrooms are a perfect choice for low energy-dense diets as they have high water content, are low in fat, and contain some fibre: three factors that will help keep you feeling full with fewer calories.
Researchers have found that people who eat satisfying portions of foods that are less energy-dense have greater success at weight loss and maintenance.4
- Mushrooms add depth of flavour to foods, without adding a lot of extra fat, calories or sodium.
- Fresh mushrooms, shiitakes in particular, have a subtle savoury quality called umami that rounds out other flavours and adds taste satisfaction. This comes from the glutamic acid they contain.5
Mushrooms Make a Difference
- Substitute ½ cup sautéed white button mushrooms in quiche for 4 ounces of cooked bacon. Benefit: Save 580 calories, 45 g fat, 15 g saturated fat and 128 mg cholesterol.6
- Substitute 1 cup diced portabella mushrooms in spaghetti sauce for ½ cup lean ground beef (80% lean). Benefit: Save 285 calories, 19 g fat, 7 g saturated fat and 101 mg cholesterol.6
- Substitute ¼ cup sliced fresh crimini or brown mushrooms on panini for 2 slices of provolone cheese. Benefit: Save 192 calories, 15 g fat, 9.5 g saturated fat and 38 mg cholesterol.6